The Planet Earth Show Follow-Up Projects
What Families Can Do at Home
Your Eco Footprint measures the amount of nature you need to support your choices about Food, Home and Moving Around.
Discover your Eco Footprint at:
www.earthday.net click on "Take Action" then scroll down and click on "Reduce Your Footprint"
Here’s what to do to make your Eco Footprint smaller:
- Precycling: Refuse what you don’t need, Reduce what you do need, Reuse what you can’t reduce
- Recycle what you can’t reuse and when buying...Buy Recycled if you can.
- Watch this cool video: www.storyofstuff.com and do The BIG 10!!!!
The BIG 10:
1. Choose organic, locally grown vegetables and fruits. Eat less meat and dairy—this makes a healthier diet & uses less energy. Join a CSA, Shop Farmers’ Markets, Grow a garden.
2. Drink & carry filtered tap water, not bottled—cheaper & cleaner.
3. Use cloth bags for food shopping and reusable containers for leftovers & lunches.
4. Change your regular light bulbs to LEDs or CFLs (spiral lights)
5. OFF is Beautiful: turn off water, lights, and unplug electronics when not in use.
6. Get a thermostat that you can program to turn down the heat or the cooling when away or sleeping at night. Try: winter: 68 F, summer: 78 F; dress for the season
7. Keep: sun OUT on hot days IN on cold days with shades, blinds or curtains.
8. Wash only FULL loads in dish & clothes washers—use clothesline to dry clothes.
9. Get Wind & Solar Energy as “carbon off-sets” for your home: https://theenergy.coop or www.NativeEnergy.com. Clean renewable energy is healthier for everyone & our planet. Solar & Wind energy can be scaled up to help make a clean energy grid.
10. Here are the most to least sustainable ways to travel:
- Walk or Bike
- Bus or Train
- Carpool…then, if you must, drive your
- Car…but please make your next car a hybrid or super-fuel economy model.
Bonus Action Step
Call your Senators and Representative. Contact information at www.congress.org
Tell them to support a Carbon Tax that returns all the money to the people. This proposed Bill is called Carbon Fee & Dividend.