Earth & Our Future Shows--Follow-Up Projects
What You Can Do
Your Eco Footprint measures the amount of nature you need to support your choices about Food, Home and Moving Around.
Discover your Eco Footprint at:
www.earthday.net look at the very top of web page, click on "footprint calculator"
Here’s what to do to make your Eco Footprint smaller:
- Precycling: Refuse what you don’t need, Reduce what you do need,Reuse what you can’t reduce
- Recycle what you can’t reuse and when buying...Buy Recycled if you can.
- Watch: www.storyofstuff.com ...and do The BIG 10!!!!
The BIG 10:
1. Choose organic, locally grown vegetables and fruits. Eat less meat and dairy— healthy & uses less energy. Join a CSA, Shop Farmers’ Markets, Grow a garden.
2. Drink & carry tap water, not bottled—cheaper & cleaner.
3. Use cloth bags for food shopping and reusable containers for leftovers & lunches.
4. Change your regular light bulbs to CFLs (spiral lights)or LEDs.
5. OFF is Beautiful: turn off water, lights, and unplug electronics when not in use.
6. Get a thermostat that you can program to turn down the heat or the cooling when away or sleeping at night. Try: winter: 68 F summer: 78 F; dress for the season
7. Keep sun OUT on hot days IN on cold days with shades, blinds or curtains.
8. Wash only FULL loads in dish & clothes washers—use clothesline to dry clothes.
9. Get local Wind & Solar Energy as “carbon off-sets” for your home: www.theenergy.coop. Wind and Solar energy are clean and healthier for everyone. It can be scaled up to help make a clean energy grid.
10. Here are the most to least sustainable ways to travel:
- Walk or Bike
- Bus or Train
- Carpool…then, if you must, drive your
- Car…but please make your next car a hybrid or super-fuel economy model.
Bonus Action Step
Call your Senators and Representative. Contact information at www.congress.org
Tell them to:
Shift FOCUS: from finite carbon energy to clean, inexhaustible, climate-stabilizing energy
Shift FUNDS: from fossil fuels subsidies to energy efficiency, wind & solar subsidies
Please fight for and pass subsidy-shifting bills in the US Congress to fund green jobs and the clean, renewable energy economy.